Barack Obama is now President Elect.
It's taken me several days to digest the news, and there have been many a report much more eloquent than anything I could hash out, but I really want to record my two cents. Just to keep it clear, to read again later, and maybe remember, or remake the remembering.
We watched the election night coverage mostly on the combined Daily Show/ Colbert Report. Unfortunately I couldn't keep my finger off the channel changer until we found that. At least it was pretty funny, and an entertaining commentary, especially the end. But Alex was going to bed, and suddenly my previous indifference to couch/bed vanished and I wanted to go to bed. So I wasn't one of those die hards that stayed up til 1 in the morning *ahem my parents!* to learn the news. But we were up at 6a.m. and the first thing we did was check our cell phones ("riots!?" "Everybody head to the park!", etc.) The second thing we did was check the news reports online. To be honest, in the few moments between the cell phone & the internet I was afraid there was rioting in the street... Because Obama didn't win, because he did, whatever. But my groggy head was soon pierced by the spike of reality quickly (but not as violently as it sometimes can. You know those days, "aaagghh!! BAH!ug", where nothing really comes out of your mouth but the occasional obscenity and primal grunts & shrugs...) Anyway. It was really amazing, and smooth & gradual comprehension & digestion. I rely on NPR so much for that! They've got great programs, really & truly. I just want to absorb them all!
My computer is acting strange, so I'll stop for now. But, this is a fun video...
1 comment:
Over at my place, I heard shouts of joy from the balconies on election night. It was funny, but I was still kind of unsure about him, as I just can't trust a politician, no matter how much I want to like him or her. That is, until I heard about this. I know he promised that early in his campaign, and I hoped he would be true to his word, but these kinds of human rights/rule of law issues seemed to be put on the back-burner once the economic crisis hit.
As I'm sure you've heard on NPR (All Things Considered ftw!) members of the current White House staff are complaining about how aggressively he's preparing for these executive order reversals. I definitely like this guy now.
Post a Comment