14.3.11

JakeyPooh

Dad had another temper tantrum over the weekend. "It's me or the dog", Mom quoted. Virile & hurtful words the first day, simmered a bit on the second "Just keep the damn dog", quieter still the third "Do you want me to move out? I don't want to make you have to choose between me and the dog."
Ugh. What an ordeal. Jake is staying with us for the week til things are settled, at least for this 6 month stretch. Mom seriously wants me to find Jake, the cocker spaniel we rescued almost 8 years ago who has seizures and has to be on phenobarbital to control them, a new home. Or at least she was so upset about it all on Sunday that she asked me to find him a home. What Jake really needs is someone who will share his/her pillow with him, let him buddy around, maybe has another dog already so he won't get lonely during the day. He is doing really well with our two pups (no incessant barking episodes when they're all three in the yard for the morning with no human interaction, a good thing!). Needless to say, we are not keeping Jake. I would love to take on the challenge of training him, training Mom, and reuniting them, but my thoughts are that Mom wouldn't keep up with her end, and Jake would be just like he is now. Already have him sitting with the other dogs to get breakfast and dinner. Already have him sitting at the door to go out. Already have him staying for treats. Etc.
Last night was rough. Jake must have some kind of compulsion or dry itchy skin or something because he snuzzles and snorts and licks and bites all night long. It kept us up and we got a horrible nights sleep. perhaps tonight we will put the small crate in the same room as the other dogs and they can all three sleep in the same room. That might work out. We'll see. I have looked almost all morning for drug interaction instructions/advice on phenobarbital and benadryl. Have found some few resources that aren't crazy hippies saying you should never give your seizure prone dog phenobarb, but mostly people just say ask the vet. We're thinking because of dogs high tolerance for benadryl he could be lightly dosed at night to get him to sleep through and not be so... loud? I dunno. I understand how that could drive Dad crazy, but I don't understand how they wouldn't actively seek the source of the problem, the solutions available, and execute the best option. I am attempting to figure it out.
We have started phase one of the patio project. This afternoon I will attempt to start the tiller and work over the garden. For now, waiting on Leigh to lug all the dogs to the dog park and then probably head to the grocery store. Maybe will take the dogs to the river for their "bath".
Have had a few job leads that I'm excited about. Waiting to hear back about all of them, but that's to be expected.
She has arrived!


No comments: